Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Secret Identity

            I grew up in Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia. Jakarta is a miniature of Indonesia since you can find various Indonesia’s ethnic groups in this city. I am a product of mix-marriage ethnic background. Understanding my cultural background is my long ‘secret’ search for identity. In my elementary school, I have a teacher who liked to ask the students to raise their hands when responding to the same questions about our original ethnicity. “Who are Javanese? Who come from Padang? Whose parents from Batak?” Nearly of my schoolmates’ parents come from the same ethnic group that they can easily classify their original ethnicity by referring to their parents’ ethnic identity. I never raised my hand since I did not know who I am. One of my friends suggested me to choose one of two. “How about Manadonese? We already have many Javanese in our classroom. There is not a Manadonese yet. If you choose Manadonese, it would make our classroom complete”.  It was a good suggestion, wasn’t it?  But, I said I could not because it would be unfair for my parents. In addition, I am not both Javanese and Manadonese since I did not know their culture. I look like neither a Manadonese nor Javanese. I cannot even speak the languages.  My parents never taught me their language. If language and physical features can be considered as visible ethnic identity, I did not have them. I look more Chinese and only speak Bahasa Indonesia. Since that, I tried to learn about my parents’ language by my own observation.

            My identity search ended when my college friend gave me a new perspective. Instead of choosing one ethnic group, I am actually part of both Java and Manado. He said “I only know Sundanese culture since my parents are Sundanese and I grow up in Sundanese area. You are luckier than me because you have two cultural roots and live in a multicultural neighborhood. You have chance to learn and understand many cultures.”

13 comments:

  1. Well said Lita.....Good on you it was nice story to read..Thank you so much for sharing...:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @UdaDave..my lecture asked her students to write about our "self reflexivity" in etnicity,race, gender and class...and this is what I feel about my ' once lost identity'...Your parents are mix-marriage couple, Have you ever feel the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I feel the same but not any more....Hehehehehe....Thanks Lita for your reply ya...:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I feel the same long time ago but not any more though....Hehehehehe...Thanks Lita for your reply....:):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are luckier because you have two cultural roots...More you can learn about it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Aris...Yes, I have a chance to learn more about Indonesia's ethnic diversity...thanks for reading...

    ReplyDelete
  7. aku selalu mengaku orang jawa timur, meski gak bisa ngomong jawa, dan sejak lahir sudah tinggal di Jakarta.
    Seringkali yang nanya cuma basa-basi sih mbak :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. paling sebel kalo bilang orang manado, trus yang nanya menatap ga percaya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. heheh...kalo nanya-nya basa-basi, jawabnya juga basa basi ya, Ma...Btw, Ortu Erma Jawa Timur mana? Madiun bukan? (*serasa kota di Jatim cuma Madiun aja*)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha....kalo lu ngaku orang Jawa, reaksi org2 gmn?? Tambah ga percaya ya....hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Porong mbak, Sidoarjo.
    Sekarang semua orang uda tau dimana tempatnya, thanks to Lapindo :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. pasti pada bilang orang Cina hehehe...

    kalo uji di bilang orang Sumatra, ato ga Betawi,,
    kalo ke mangga dua sama Nilas, dipanggil "koko" trus dia ngomong pake bahasa Cina hahahha...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Uji...iya, gue sering dikira org Sunda, Padang, or Betawi....hehe...ga ada yg tebakannya bener,deh pokoknya...

    ReplyDelete